Dear Family and Friends,
I first want to start off by wishing my wonderful mother a Happy Birthday on the 27th of this month! Happy Birthday Mom! Thank you for all you do and your emails each week! I am so lucky to have such a wonderful example to follow. I love you Mom!!! Everyone give her huge hugs from me!
Oh and guess what!! I am in South Korea and I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!! I know that is obvious but often I find myself thinking "whoa is this real life?!" I often ask my companion Sister Kang to pinch me so I wake up in my bed at home but each time she does I remain in this wonderful country. It is such blessing to be a missionary and be in the Lord's service I am only 19 and I can't speak Korean but here I am called to serve and help the people of Korea come closer to Christ. How great is my calling!?
This week was another great week. In fact every week is good as Sister Kang and I reflect on each day during daily planning and recognize the miracles and blessings of each day. Heavenly Father truly blesses His missionaries even with the smallest of blessing like having enough money to get cereal for breakfast:) haha Oh the joys of the missionary life.
This week we met with a new investigator 김명숙 (Kim Myong-Suk). She was originally meeting with the Elders but she now wants to meet with us so we prepared a really good lesson for her and things went so well. We do the 30/30 program with her so during English we truly just got to know her and put all our interest in her. The Elders have actually already taught her all the lessons and invited her to be baptized but she is afraid that her family will not accept the religion so will not set a date. We decided to talk about Lehi's Dream of the Tree of Life how Lehi desired his whole family to partake of the fruit but Laman and Lemuel refused. I want her to know that through her example her family can come to know that this religion is needed in their lives. I want her to know how much this gospel will bless her, her 3 children and her husband. We gave her the commitment to read 1 Nephi 8 and we will discuss it with her tomorrow. I just love her and she showed so much gratitude toward us for our preparation for her. She went to church last week and really enjoyed it so I hope she will continue to come and we can help her in all her needs.
This week I actually want to share an experience. I truly was having a hard day and during my language study I decided to just kneel at my desk and pray to my Heavenly Father. I was seeking for my purpose to being called to Korea when I can't speak the Korean language, can't contribute a lot to lessons and most people just stare at me like I am a crazy foreigner. I asked why I was called to 화곡 and why Sister Kang and I were assigned to be companions. I pleaded with Heavenly Father. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to feel I was worth something in the missionary work. All I knew was that He would listen to me and I could speak everything that was in my heart. When I closed I found Sister Kang kneeling at my side hugging me. She told me she wanted to share a story about her last transfer with her other companion. It was the first time where she truly had a hard time with her companion and they just were not able to get along. She wanted to go home and felt that she had reached her limit. She thought she could not continue but she continued to pray to Heavenly Father for charity. When the end of the transfer came she prayed before transfer calls for the companion that she would have. She prayed that she would be able to have a great relationship and that her and her next companion would truly become best friends. She then found out that she was training and guess who she was training, yep haha me. Since our first day she said she has felt God's love for her through me. She told me I am her miracle companion and an answer to her prayers. When she told me this story we were both in tears. I couldn't help but think wow. All this time I felt worthless not being able to help in this missionary work as best as I could because I can't speak the language but when all along I was able to help my companion draw closer to Christ and feel God's love without knowing. With this experience I have realized that the most important person I can serve, help and love is my companion. Sister Kang means everything to me. I have been able to realize that one of my purposes here in this area is for Sister Kang to give her a great friendship. If I don't touch anyone else's life here in 화곡 , that is just fine because I have been able to touch Sister Kang's life just by being me. I am so grateful for my companion. I want you all to know that I am truly in good hands. We learn from each other everyday.
I love this missionary opportunity and cannot thank my Father in Heaven enough each day. I love and miss each of you. I want you to all keep smiling and recognize the little blessings everyday. Life is beautiful and Spring is Coming and the cherry blossoms are starting to bloom!!! YAY! I love you all! have a great Week!!!!
Love
드리스콜자매
Sister Ciarra Jean Driscoll
"Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen." Alma 26:37
Heart Mind and Seoul Korea
I am 19 years old and called to serve in the Korea Seoul South Mission as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I would like to thank all who have shown their love and support throughout this life changing journey of mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment