Family and Friends,
Another week has come and gone and I can hardly believe it! Sister Stout and I are in shock with how much faster time is going by now that we are getting older in the mission. We are just going everday diligently striving to fulfill our purpose as fully as possible because we are realizing that it does come to an end. Our roommate Sister Hammerl from Australia goes home in 2 weeks so it's really hitting us that the time really does come so we have to work our hardest until the end and do what it takes to reach the full potential that God sees in us. I just love Sister Stout too! She is such an amazing missionary and is always improving herself and trusting in the Lord. I am so grateful for her example and love.
As I have served my mission I have been asked many times what my favorite part about my mission is and I want to tell you all that now. As I have been a missionary I have met so many wonderful people and built so many strong friendships and I love it. I love knowing that although I only serve here in Korea for 18 months and only with certain companions for a few months that these relationships are forever. The relationships I am gaining and the examples that are influencing my life are my favorite parts about my mission. As I reflect on my past companions I have realized that each of them have taught me a Christlike attribute so through each of my companions example and influence I am developing those attributes that I work so hard to have. As I reflect on the members and people on the street I think of the joy and love I feel when I see them smile and just take part or see the little light of the gospel that I want to give to them. I am learning so much through other people and being greatly influenced through each person I come in contact with. I know that the Lord has me meet each person for a reason and from each person I meet I have something to learn from. I need each person in my life to help me reach that full potential. The role that these people have played in my life is so great that I personally can't even comprehend it but I am forever grateful. I love being a part of this work and serving this mission that is causing me to stretch grow and become more like Christ.
Last Monday Sister Stout and I had Family Home Evening with a lady in our ward who has a daughter on a mission. She is so fun and just loves the missionaries and knows the scriptures and the gospel like the back of her hand. She truly has put the time and effort into not only knowing the gospel but living it. Her testimony continues to amaze me. While we were preparing for her we reflected on what she said during gospel doctrine class and when she bore her testimony that Fast Sunday. We both didn't understand everything that she said but both agreed that she needed peace in her heart so we planned accordingly. As we started the lesson she said that it was exactly what she needed. I shared with her the scripture that has brought me the most peace while on my mission and that is D&C 50:40-45.
"40 Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth.41 Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me; 42 And none of them that my Father hath given me shall be lost. 43 And the Father and I are one. I am in the Father and the Father in me; and inasmuch as ye have received me, ye are in me and I in you. 44 Wherefore, I am in your midst, and I am the good shepherd, and the stone of Israel. He that buildeth upon this rock shall never fall. 45 And the day cometh that you shall hear my voice and see me, and know that I am."
It brought peace to my soul knowing that Christ understands and knows how we feel but He reminds us that He has overcome the world and we are always remembered by Him. He is always with us and as long as we are built upon His rock we shall never fall. This scripture has brought me so much hope, comfort and peace through hard times and good times and I know it is true. I have witnessed the Lord with me at all times guiding me and comforting me along the rocky road and the smooth road. I know as I endure patiently, lovingly and hopefully with Him by my side I will receive that great reward of everlasting happiness. We have no need to fear because we always have Christ with us as we invite Him into our lives.
As Sister Stout and I have been serving together we have done a service project at a nursing home type place and well in Korea that grandmas and grandpas are extremely hard to understand so we try talking to them but it's just difficult so since Sister Stout came and since I have started the dance for the Relief Society we have been practicing on the grandmas and grandpas. This was Sister Stout's idea and at first I thought she was crazy but then I remembered that's what I grew up doing and what joy it brought those people to see all the dance performances I did when I was little so we showed them. It was so fun and one lady started crying while the others just clapped and smiled bigger then I had ever seen. It was so precious and as we danced I couldn't help but smile bigger then ever. One lady said that it was our smiles and the light that made it great. This experience brought satisfaction to my soul and reminded me of my talent of dance and how we truly can bear our testimonies through our talents and bring the light and joy of the gospel into other's lives as we share them.
This week was full of member visits and practice lessons and it was just the greatest. Sister Stout and I had so many member practice lessons that went to so well and helped us with not only our Korean but teaching skills. I don't know if I mentioned this but starting this month our mission has a made a change as far as our goals go and now instead of counting our conversations that we have weekly we count our lessons which we did before but now have a specific section for these practice lessons because President Morrise wants us teaching as much as possible and then just talking to everyone. I truly enjoy the new change because it focuses us on working with the members more and helps us become master teachers of the gospel. IT was so fun spending time with members and being able to strengthen them. Sister Stout and I in order to show our gratitude and love made a bunch of brownies and delivered them to everyone. The joy that is brought to my heart to see how the member and their children reacted is so hard to explain but it made me realize that I love these people and they love me.
I am so grateful for this opportunity I have to be a missionary and for the refining that is taking place within myself. This work is amazing and I know that it is the Lord's. As I read in 1 Nephi 18:1 I realized something about Nephi when he was commanded to build the ship. In verse one it said, "... And the Lord did show me from time to time after what manner I should work..." The Lord didn't tell Nephi perfectly how to do everything. We have to learn and grow and trust in not only God but ourselves that we are doing His will. When we do that we find that we really are doing it "..after the manner which the Lord had shown unto..." us. I know that this is the Lord's work and He will accomplish His purpose. I know that this gospel is true and blesses lives all around the world. I know that Heavenly Father loves His children and wants them all to return back to Him and that is why He has provided the way. I know that Jesus Christ and His gospel is the way and that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I am grateful for this knowledge and for this time that my only purpose is to share it. I love being a missionary. Thank you for all you love support and prayers. I hope you all continue to be well and have a great week! Remember to smile and to trust in God! Love you and Miss you all!
Love
드리스콜자매
Sister Ciarra Jean Driscoll
P.S I ate octopus this week:) It's good stuff just super chewy:)
"Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen." Alma 26:37
Heart Mind and Seoul Korea
I am 19 years old and called to serve in the Korea Seoul South Mission as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I would like to thank all who have shown their love and support throughout this life changing journey of mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment