Dear Family and Friends,
I want to start off by wishing my Dad and Brother HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! It's been an interesting experience being on a mission and communicating with my family through email and letters but in the process I believe I have drawn closer to them this way. The relationship I have been able to gain with my Dad and Brother while serving this mission is something that I will forever be grateful for as they shared with me their wisdom and experiences that have forever changed me. I am so grateful for worthy priesthood holders in my home and for their example of loving service. Thank you Dad and Tyler for all the support you gave me, all the encouragement, prayers and hope! I LOVE YOU!
I don't know what to say in this last email but I just want to tell you everything that I have learned but it is nearly impossible to sum up 18 months in a few paragraphs but what I can tell you firmly is there was no pulling up at the eye this week. Sister Hwang, at the beginning of our transfer told me a cool fact about the Bible. I guess in the bible the words "Fear Not" appear exactly 365 times which reminds us that each day we have no reason to fear and have every reason to go forth in faith. What a great feeling it has been to remember this last transfer that the Lord is with me everyday all day.
We didn't eat at our home once this week because we were so busy with members and investigators! It was so wonderful! When the transfer call came Sister Hwang found out that her new companion is going to be Sister 최은영 so this area that I have spent 7 months in will be ran by the Lord with two wonderful Korean sister missionaries! I am so excited and I just know miracles are going to continue to happen. I feel at peace leaving this area and I know each one of our members, investigators, and less actives are going to be well taken care of.
As my last Sunday though I received that greatest present that the Lord could have ever given me. I don't know if you all remember the long lost less active I met in December. Well her name is 윤희정. I have fairly consistently met with her since December and due to family reasons she has never been able to come to church. She actually lives in another area and I was trying to figure out how to refer her smoothly over before I left to America. Well this week we had a Stake conference because Elder Ringwood was released so we invited her. She didn't come so Sister Hwang and I just sat down and listened to the talks. Then one of the missionaries come and say "Sister Driscoll, you have an investigator here. She has a Book Of Mormon with your name number and testimony in it." I was so confused. Who could it be? So Sister Hwang and I walk to the back of the chapel and there sitting in the back is 윤희정. We were both so excited and so was she. She hasn't been to church for over 25 years so listening to the words of our church leaders was so great for her. She was soaking it all in. In fact while listening she stopped and told us how great it was and then asked why everyone else was sleeping. As she did that she grabbed her fan and pretended to hit everyone across the head to wake them up. It was the best moment ever but it also reminded me of how lucky I have been to have the gospel consistently in my life. I have taken it for granted but as I have lived this mission life I have truly come to realize the joy of this gospel and that it truly is the best way to go. In result of her coming to church though she was able to meet a member from the ward that she would attend. This member just moved into the same apartment complex one week ago! Coincidence? I think not! And best part is they are the same age and in Korea that is a big deal! She was so happy and the whole time I could just feel that Spirit testifying to me that this is the Lord's plan and I was meant to find her that one day in December. I know God is aware. He knows all and He truly is watching over each of us at all times!
I am not sure what to think or feel at this time but last week my dad gave me advice that I lived by for this week. He said "Enjoy your next week. Try not to burden yourself by saying did I do enough, because you did. Do not second guess yourself or over do but rather SLOW down and take it all in, the spirit, the members, the culture, the people, your companion, take it in with gratitude and bask in the spirit of joy." Nearing the end of your mission is an interesting experience because you can't help but wonder if you did do enough and you did do all that the Lord had planned for you but I guess in reality there is always more to be done. Just because my time as a full time missionary is ending doesn't mean that the work in Korea ends. No matter what the work will go on. The work was already started when I entered Korea and the work will continue as I leave Korea. But I found comfort in the scriptures one day studying. Doctrine Covenants 38:10 "Verily I say unto you, ye are clean, but not all; and there is none else with whom I am well pleased;" Through that scripture I found exactly what I had been searching for. The fact that yes there is still more work to be done and I still have so much to learn but that Heavenly Father is pleased with the sacrifice that I have been able to put forth to bring forth His gospel.
I have been reading President Uchtdorf's talk "On Being Genuine" and this is what he said " if Jesus Christ were to sit down with us and ask for an accounting of our stewardship, I am not sure He would focus much on programs and statistics. What the Savior would want to know is the condition of our heart. He would want to know how we love and minister to those in our care, how we show our love to our spouse and family, and how we lighten their daily load. And the Savior would want to know how you and I grow closer to Him and to our Heavenly Father.”
This has been applied to my service as a missionary and as I reflect over the last 18 months. I ask myself these two questions: Has your heart changed? Have you grown closer to Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ? I can stand and tell you firmly YES! If anything the mission has done exactly that and that makes it all worth it. I know that I through this mission experience I have deepened my conversion to the gospel of Jesus Christ and found out that conversion is possible. I am converted and it's been a quiet miracle and a quest which will continue forever but this mission has started me off on the right foot drawing closer to my Savior. But most of all what I want you each to know is that Conversion is Possible. The change of heart is possible through the atonement of Jesus Christ. I know it. I have experienced it and continue to experience it.
I have a testimony of the restored gospel. I testify it is true. Joseph Smith is the prophet of the Restoration. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He knows us perfectly which is why he is able to help us and invites us to Come Unto Him! I love this gospel and I am full of gratitude. I believe that the words of Alma 26 explain my heart the best.
2 And now, I ask, what great blessings has he bestowed upon us? Can ye tell?
3 ...And this is the blessing which hath been bestowed upon us, that we have been made instruments in the hands of God to bring about this great work.
35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.
36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land.
37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.
LOVE YOU ALL!
드리스콜자매
Sister Ciarra Jean Driscoll
No comments:
Post a Comment