Leaving 2013 for a better 2014!
Dear Family and Friends,
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Can you believe 2013 has come and gone! It feels just like yesterday I was starting my first day at BYU-Idaho, auditioning for Dance Alliance and applying for the Europe trip, but nope that was a year ago! I had so many wonderful life changing experiences and opportunities this past year that I will forever be grateful for. Now, I am halfway through my MTC experience here in Provo and I can not even believe it. I have learned so much these past four weeks. It is amazing and I am loving this opportunity I have been given. The Lord is with me daily and I witness miracle daily.
One miracle I can think of right now was when my companions and I were teaching a lesson. We were talking about the Book of Mormon and had our investigator read Moroni 10:3-5. Reminding you our lessons are all in Korean so the investigator was reading the Korean Book of Mormon. After he finished reading he asked us what a particular word meant. I couldn't believe it. Of course none of us knew so he pointed to the word and it was in verse 4 near the beginning. Luckily I brought my English book of Mormon so Sister Anderson and I were scrambling through the words trying to figure out what word he did not understand. Sister Anderson immediately said, "It's exhort," and sure enough, that was the word he was talking about! Sister Anderson said a prayer in our time of need and answered our prayer. It was truly a miracle.
This past Sunday I had my halfway mark interview with Brother Snow from the Branch presidency. I do not remember if I have mentioned Brother Snow but he is the best. He is from Firth, Idaho and honestly is like my dad here at the MTC. When I met with him he told me that he had been waiting for this Idaho girl to arrive at the MTC and had high expectations for me. He continually said how proud he was of me. Meeting with him reminded me of the consistent visits I would have with my own father and how I miss those but there is still plenty of time left for them. Sunday devotional was given by one of the District Presidents here at the MTC. They (he and his wife) spoke on recognizing the Spirit. I have learned that the Spirit speaks to everyone differently. The Spirit will choose how to speak to you personally. As I come in tune with the Spirit I will hear a voice saying, "this is the way." The Spirit is our constant companion. That is a gift God has given us but we must seek for its guidance and companionship. The Spirit is so vital in missionary work because it bears the real testimony. I can try and talk to someone all I want, but if the Spirit is not working through me or working through that person nothing is happening. The Spirit does the teaching and converting.
Each Friday we do a teaching thing called TRC. TRC is when member volunteers come and learn about the gospel from the missionaries. My companions and I have done it the last two weeks in Korean and have had wonderful experiences. Last week the Korean women we taught had only been a member for a year and asked us after we bore our testimonies "how can I know?" What a challenging question but honestly the spirit guided me in asking direct questions to her reflecting on why she decided to join the church, the feelings she had when she was baptized, a time when God answered her prayers and by the end she understood that as she continues to pray, study the scriptures, and go to church her testimony will be strengthened. She also said she felt that her faith was not growing. I simply turned to Alma 32 and shared with her a verse saying "exercise just a particle of faith" then her desires and faith will continue to grow. My companions and I committed her to begin praying to Heavenly Father daily and asking Him if He is listening and asking Him how she can know, and asking Him if this is the way. I know that entire experience was guided by the Spirit because I did not know what to say or what she needed but God did and God allowed the Spirit to guide us to help this sister.
As a new year comes most people decide on some New Year's resolutions. This past Tuesday devotional Elder Stanley G. Ellis of the Seventy came and spoke to us. He talked about voluntary repentance, changing for the better. As he spoke he brought up a video clip from the Christmas Carol as Scrooge changes his life for the better. Scrooge says, "I will take the time I have left to live. I will give it all I have to give. I will not be the man I was. I will change today. I will thank the Lord." At the beginning of a new year we all have chance to be someone we have never been. We have a chance to choose who we want to be. Right now ask yourself: What did I accomplish in 2013? What can I do better in 2014? What would God have me change? Why do I need to be better? As we ask ourselves these questions, we evaluate ourselves, choose what we want/need to change, and then change. We will have a desire to be better and change the good things we have done to better things. This is the time to choose who you want to be. This is the time we can become someone we have never been. This is the time to try because as we try we will become. God wants us to try. He wants us to take that step to be better so He can bless and help us. If we fail that is okay. Keep trying. One step is better than no step at all. This new year is my year to give all I have to the Lord. I want to live my mission. This 2014 is devoted entirely to my Savior and my Father in Heaven. I will honor them and represent them as best as I can. I can do this by being positive and smiling everyday, loving everyone I come into contact with, focus on others, forget myself, and ask for God's help daily for every little thing. As a missionary I have changes so much. I listen more carefully, I study more diligently, I prepare more spiritually, and I am more aware of the Spirit and blessings I am given daily. This missionary opportunity is not given to everyone so I feel so extremely blessed to be called as a full-time missionary.The Lord is with me everyday and I know that as I strive to be better I will be able to become who I want to be this year and that is an effective servant of the Lord.
I want you all to know how grateful I am to be here and what a great experience I am having. Missionary life goes by so fast but I truly am trying to cherish every moment. Thank you for all the support, love, thoughts, and prayers; they strengthen me everyday! Here is to a new year and a new me!
Love,
Sister Ciarra Jean Driscoll
"Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen." Alma 26:37
Heart Mind and Seoul Korea
I am 19 years old and called to serve in the Korea Seoul South Mission as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I would like to thank all who have shown their love and support throughout this life changing journey of mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment