Dear Family and Friends,
Well I have had a schedule change so my P-day is now Thursday! It has kind of thrown me off a little bit, but it is all good! Can you believe I only have 3 more weeks left here in America! Time sure has flown by! This past week was great as always!
So a little off the spiritual end of things, and before I start with all the amazing things I learned this past Tuesday, you would not believe what I did! You really probably won't believe it! A girl who is going to serve her mission in Australia asked me if I wanted to play 3 on 3 with the Elders. I was super super hesitant considering I could not tell you the last time I even played a basketball game but I did it! Yep miss dancer and cheerleader dribbled and drove to the hoop! It was great! I still have some skill left in me from 6th grade! I think my dad will be proud of that news, considering he is the one who gave me those basketball skills!
Fast Sunday was by far the best Sunday I have had here at the MTC. Every Fast Sunday we have Mission Conference, and wow, the talks that day were ones I needed to hear. One of the District Presidents and his wife spoke. His wife spoke about trials. Missionary life is not easy and full of trials. Heavenly Father gives us trials everyday to strengthen us and see what we are made of. We aren't measured by the trials we have but the trials we overcome. Overcoming trials is one of our biggest accomplishments. Tough trials don't last but tough people do. I have come to realize that trials are for our benefit and when we are going through a hard time and out of our comfort zone we grow the most and truly feel God's love for us. As a missionary God will not allow me to fail as long as I am being obedient. Obedience brings blessings. The Lord will qualify me for His work. He loves His missionaries and will never forget them. Often missionaries are afraid of reaching out of their comfort zone. When you are out of your comfort zone is when you grow the most. What is the cure to not feel fear? Perfect love casteth out all fear. We must cast our fears aside and lean on our faith and love. Throughout our lives we often say "I can't go on, I cant do this, I feel alone, This isn't possible" but remember God says "I will lead you, I can do all things, I will never leave you, All things are possible through me." I want you all to realize that God and our Savior Jesus Christ are helping us each and everyday even if you do not recognize their help. Through them we can push through our trials and have our faith strengthened. If we are on the Lord's errand we are destined for the Lord's help. I know that as I serve this mission and as we seek to do the things the Lord would approve we will receive His help.
After mission conference I was pulled aside by a member of the Branch Presidency for an interview. Brother Perriton from New Zealand is the first counselor and he is the one who interviewed me. The first question he asked me was, "Why are you always smiling?" I did not know how to answer aside from saying, "I love the MTC and I love serving the Lord. There is nothing to not smile about." As soon as I said that he said, "Sister Driscoll, will you accept the Sister Training leader position for this branch?" Sister Training leader is like a Zone leader for sisters. I accepted and I cannot wait for this great opportunity. This next coming week we have 33 new missionaries entering our branch and I get to welcome them here to the MTC! What a great experience that will be. After I received that calling we headed off to Fast and Testimony meeting. I sat and listened to all the beautiful testimonies in Korean, and the last 5 minutes I had this strong impression I needed to stand and share my testimony quickly. I stood up at the pulpit and the Spirit hit me so strong. Looking back on it now I have no idea what I said in Korean, or if it even made sense, but I know the Spirit was there helping me testify of the gospel and the truthfulness it holds within it. It was such a powerful moment and when I sat down we sang "I Believe in Christ" in Korean as the closing hymn. I cried throughout the song because my heart was so full of gratitude to my Savior and the Spirit for allowing me to share my testimony to those in my branch. I love this gospel with all my heart and know it is true.
MTC life really is amazing! This past week my companions and I had the opportunity to meet with one of the district presidents here at the MTC. He met with each of us individually. He is such a positive person and his quote is "If you aren't having fun you are doing it wrong!" He continually told me that he hopes my mission is the hardest thing I have ever done because he knows I am tough and wants me to come out stronger than ever before. He said "In the mission field and right now you are getting your teeth knocked out, but guess what, you are winning the fight. You are a powerhouse." Hearing this I am really preparing myself for some challenges but I know that I can do this. God loves me and has the best in store for me. I will make this mission the best experience ever. Everything about it will be positive and I will come out stronger than I could ever imagine. After the district president visited with all 3 of us (Sister Lynn, Sister Anderson, and I) he told us that "If everyone was like you three sisters the gates and walls of hell would shake" referring to the verse in the Book of Mormon about Moroni. What a compliment! I am so glad I was able to meet with the district president. I learned so much. Life is amazing! We all must love it, live it, and laugh through it.
As I learn about being a missionary I realize that serving is when I am the happiest. Even not as a missionary when you are serving you are the happiest. Missionaries are here to help others change their lives for the better. The only way people can change their lives is if they act. The only way people are going to act is if we invite them to act. Our purpose as missionaries is to INVITE people to come unto Christ. It is all about inviting all to change their lives for the better and take a step closer to Christ. We all can do this everyday. We draw closer to Christ by praying a little more intently, studying a little more diligently, listening to the Spirit a little more carefully, etc. Our purpose as missionaries isn't just to invite nonmembers closer to Christ but also members. Everyday we can come closer to Christ, and what a blessing that is.
Tuesday night devotional was amazing. Bishop Gary E. Stevenson came from the Presiding Bishopric and spoke about having a vision. In life we must see the big picture. We have to find a vision for ourselves and not lose sight of it. What is your vision? My vision right now is my purpose as a missionary. There is not greater vision than inviting others to come unto Christ. The day I have to take this name tag off my chest will be one of the hardest days. Being in the Lord's full-time service is one of the greatest blessings I could ever have. I realize this is my time to devote all that I have to the Lord. The scriptures say, "serve with all your heart might mind and strength." The Lord doesn't want part of me. He wants all of me and that is what I intend to give. Everywhere I serve I will leave it stronger in Christ than it was before.
I love this experience I have been given and I cannot thank each and everyone of you enough for your love, support, and prayers. The Lord is preparing a way for me to serve the people of Korea and I cannot be more thankful. I love this gospel. I love missionary work. I love my Savior. I love being a missionary.
Love
Sister Ciarra Jean Driscoll
No comments:
Post a Comment