I have been trying to upload pictures, but blogger won't let me, so all you get for now are just her letters. Sorry for the delay in posting her letters! -Joelle
Dear Family and Friends,
Wow can you believe how time has flown! I only have about a week left here in Provo and it feels like yesterday I was being dropped off, but now I was hosting 500 new missionaries being dropped off yesterday! It was so fun to participate in that and help so many sisters start off their first day at the MTC with a smile on their faces. I loved it and am looking forward to doing it again this next week. This past week has been full of events!
Friday my companions and I did our first TRC lesson via Skype with a young man living in South Korea right now! It was such a fun experience. We had no idea what he was saying most the time but I was just so happy during the whole lesson. When he introduced himself he spoke so fast that I did not even catch his name, so I feel terrible, but he told us that he is working on his mission papers right now! Although I couldn't understand everything he was saying I really developed a love for him and hope and pray that he continues to prepare for his mission. He was such a character, very understanding and helpful with our struggling Korean language skills. I have developed such a strong love for the Korean people already. I cannot wait to be in their service and learning of their ways.
There were so many amazing and uplifting devotionals. For Relief Society, Sister Rosemary Wixom, General President of the Primary spoke to us about the scripture 2 Nephi 22:2. She carefully broke down that scripture into three parts. First, we must put our confidence in the Lord. When we trust in Him we will not be afraid. As I give all my trust to the Lord I will be able to receive His countenance in my image. I must let go of my own will and seek to do the Lord's will. I know He will help me every step of the way through this life. Second, Jesus Christ is my strength and my song. I can take on this world because I know Christ is my strength. In the strength of the Lord we can do all things. Love will drive everything we do. Love drove Jesus Christ to fulfill His mission and love will drive me to fulfill my mission. Third, the Atonement is my salvation. Jesus Christ atoned for each one of our sins alone. I cannot comprehend the Atonement no matter how hard I try. As the Savior suffered all that was left in Him was selfless love and the commitment to complete His Father's will. The Savior gave it His all for us. "He came as an individual with a personal message to each one of us" (Infinite Atonement). The Savior knows all. He has endured our trials, feelings, sins, afflictions, everything. Through acknowledging this selfless act we can use the gift He gave and receive His personal message He has for us individually. I am so grateful for my Savior. He has done so much for me. I am nothing if I don't rely on Him and trust Him. The Lord is my strength and will forever be.
Sunday night devotional Sister Sheri Dew came and spoke to us. What a powerful speaker she is. She spoke on how clear a missionary's focus is for 18 months to 2 years. I am so blessed to know that for the next 18 months well 16 now (CRAZY) all I have to worry about it serving the Lord, learning the gospel, and loving the Korean people. My one focus is changing the world. I have work to do and because this is God's work it will change the world. I have realized that in life as well as this time on my mission I can either do it on my own or I can do it with the help of heaven. I don't know about you but I know I cannot serve this mission or get through this life on my own. I need all the help I can get right now. Life is not easy but the Lord saved His noble and great ones for this day because He knows we have the courage and determination to face this scary world and shine the Light of Christ around. Our Heavenly Father has a divine mission for each of us and if you want to know what it is-ask Him and He will tell you. I have a strong testimony of the power of prayer. I know that Heavenly Father hears each one of our prayers and will answer them. When you pray to the Lord, pray for strength. Tell Him exactly what you are feeling, tell Him about your trials you are facing, share with Him your shortcomings, pour your heart out in gratitude, plead for strength and support and ask for ears to hear His voice. If you ever want to know anything ask our Loving Heavenly Father and I promise He will tell you.
Monday my companions and I taught a lesson to an investigator who we have had troubles with. This lesson we finally just planned to invite him to receive baptism. We had no idea what he was going to say but we were prepared for a yes or no answer. We read 2 Nephi 31:4-18 with him from the Korean Book of Mormon. It was such a neat experience reading all together as our lesson. While we were reading that passage I asked him if he believed The Book of Mormon was God's word. He said YES! I couldn't believe it because all the lesson we had taught previously he was set on only the Bible being God's word. Then when we finished the passage we asked our investigator if he would receive baptism and he said YES again. I was in shock and know that the Spirit was definitely there helping our investigator feel of God's love and make the correct decisions for his life. Although here at the MTC when we are teaching they aren't real investigators they are our teachers it is still so real. The Spirit still drives the lesson and testifies. It is so powerful and I cannot wait for it to be a real experience with a real investigator.
Tuesday was an extremely exciting day! I received my Korean name tag! It is so legit!! We received 12 native Koreans who will be leaving February 3 with me! 7 of them are sisters and one of the sisters I actually met through the sister missionary facebook page. It was so great to finally meet Sister Shin in person. All the Koreans are so understanding and helpful with my struggling language skills. They help you in any way they can and always make you feel good about yourself. Tuesday night devotional Sister Orme (New Sister training Leader who I am training) and I were able to sit with the Korean sisters. The devotional was so good. Bishop Causse from the General Presiding Bishopric spoke. He asked us if we ever thought about what it would be like when we meet the Savior? Right now I want you to think about How it will be when you meet the Savior. I know when I meet the Savior I want to embrace Him and thank Him. I want to tell Him I did my best and when He threw a hard trial at me I was able to trust in Him and overcome it. I want to tell Him that I knew Him. As a missionary I am a witness of the Lord Jesus Christ and to be a witness of Him I must know Him. To know the Savior is to feel His love. I have felt His love and I feel it everyday. Love is such a powerful tool. Love is a gift that we receive from God. Love is also a motivating principle in conversion. Everywhere you go there is someone to love. Right now I may not be able to speak to the Korean people as effectively as I would like but I know I can love them. I know love will pave the way. I must know the Savior, feel His love, share His love and do His work. That is my mission.
Tuesday I also found out that one of the Korean sisters had not yet received her endowment and that I would be escorting her through the temple Thursday. When I found out that I was given that opportunity my heart was filled with gratitude. I was so grateful and so excited to help sweet Sister Kim have a wonderful experience at the Temple. I was extremely nervous because she doesn't speak a lot of English and I don't speak a lot of Korean. I prayed so earnestly this morning that I would have words to say to this sweet sister as we walked up to the temple. When we left for the temple, words filled my mouth and I was able to talk to her in her native tongue as best as I could. I found out that her mother served a mission, her older sister served and right now her younger brother is preparing. We met her translator at the temple and she was the cutest little Korean lady. She continued to tell me how beautiful I was and that there was something different about me that the Korean people are going to love. She said I would receive the gift of tongues and be able to help her people out. It was so encouraging to hear those things. The entire session was so special. Sister Kim just glowed and looked so extremely beautiful. I feel so honored to have shared this special day with Sister Kim and will cherish it forever.
I am so blessed. I have been given so many amazing opportunities here at the MTC. I love the Korean people already and cannot wait to dedicate these 18 months of my life to them. They are a special people and I am honored to serve them. I love being a part of the Lord's work. It is amazing to be right in the middle of witnessing the Lord gathering His sheep. I love this gospel with all my heart and know that it is true. I cannot thank you each enough for the letters, prayers, support and love. I am strengthened each day by your prayers and by our Heavenly Father. I love you all!
Love,
Sister Ciarra Jean Driscoll
"Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen." Alma 26:37
Heart Mind and Seoul Korea
I am 19 years old and called to serve in the Korea Seoul South Mission as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I would like to thank all who have shown their love and support throughout this life changing journey of mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment