Heart Mind and Seoul Korea

Heart Mind and Seoul Korea
I am 19 years old and called to serve in the Korea Seoul South Mission as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I would like to thank all who have shown their love and support throughout this life changing journey of mine.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Letter - 8/18/14

Dear Family and Friends,
Well I don't know how I seemed to get so lucky that my Birthday fell on a P-Day but it did and it's been a great day so far thanks to my awesome companion and roommates. Let me tell you what has happened. So the alarm went of at 6:30 I rolled over and stuffed my face in my pillow preparing to say my morning prayers. I then hear the Korean birthday song and Sister Hammerl is tackling me on my bed. Yes so then for some reason Sister Hunter was really determined to go outside this morning and exercise so I don't complain because I will take any opportunity to go outside and run. When we come back in I find the master chef Sister Lyman cooking my favorite breakfast, crepes. I just couldn't believe it. I was so happy and just reminded me of being home and eating my mom's crepes. Then during study time surprisingly texts from members and missionaries just flooded the phone. I didn't know how the members found out it was my Birthday until I thought about Sunday when Sister Hunter talked to the amazing Single Adult in our ward 황미주 and mentioned it was my birthday. Well sure enough I think still no sure she informed the whole ward on the Ward Facebook Page type thing. So its been wonderful and I am just so grateful for the time that I have had so far. For the rest of the day we are planning on going to a typer of Fortress with some other missionaries which should be fun! I can't believe I am 20 though..Kind of really strange for my last teenage night last night Sister Hunter and I had a chocolate mild chug competition since that is as crazy as you can get as a missionary on a Sunday. Yes it was fun! I am always making memories in this little area of mine with these wonderful Sisters. I am so grateful for them. I also want to thank you all for with Birthday wishes my Mom said that many came my way so thank you so much. I love you all!

As for the week. IT was just wonderful. I don't even know where to start. Last Monday all us Sisters went bowling at the local bowling alley which was so fun. Reminded me of memories going bowling with friends and family. I am definitely a poor bowler though compared to the Koreans. They are amazing! I need lessons from them. It was a party though even though we were all stuggling. We had a good time and that is was counts. After P-day ended Sister Hunter and I decided to go a try visiting past investigators from the area. We went focused on a particular apartment complex which is huge and I am sure all of American Falls, Aberdeen, and Rockland could live there, No one seemed to be home or they pretended not to be when they found out it was the missionaries waiting out their door. As it was getting late we decided to visit one last person. We punched in her apartment number and through the intercom type thing she talked but we couldn't hear each other so she hung up but then the door opened. We didn't know if she opened it or not but this was our chance to go in so we went for it. Come to find out she did open it and she warmly invited us into her house. Sister Hunter and I were so caught off guard. We weren't expecting this to happen but it did so it was time to fulfill our purpose. We met the women and found out that she has two kids and a husband. She talked about when she met with the missionaries in the past and said that the message was just different and her Father did not approve so she stopped. The whole time we were talking she was just so comfortable having us in her house and was really sincere. She listened to us as we taught about God being our Loving Heavenly Father and prayer. The Spirit was really special and she just seemed ready to listen to us. We weren't able to stay long because it was late but we closed with a prayer and as we were leaving I asked if it would be okay if we visited again. She said of course come again. It was a neat experience to watch her as we spoke to her. She was in the moment and so kind. I am grateful that Sister Hunter and I were able to meet her and I hope that we will continue to do so as we have kept in contact this last week and plan on visiting her again this week.

Tuesday we had a lunch appointment with a member of our ward. It was so fun. She told us of her conversion story and how she decided to serve a mission. As she told her story I just kept thinking Wow. The way God tries and prepares people is truly amazing. Her story of going on a mission I really enjoyed. She said she went on a mission because she is an obedient person. Well come to find out she said her Patriarchal Blessing mentioned a lot of things about missionary work so she knew she needed to go. So she went to her father to tell him she wanted to go on a mission. Her father is not a member and the minute she said  that he said  get out of my house. It scared her and at this point she was questioning it. She hadn't prayed about going yet though to she prayed asking Heavenly Father what she was to do. She got her answer and she was to serve a mission but how? For 4 years she worked to earn money, prepared through studying and going to the temple. By the time she had enough money she went to her father and said I will go on a mission. And she went. I just thought about her story and realized what a blessing it is to have a family that has supported me from day 1 and parents who have encouraged me each week. The Korean members here continue to amaze me as they are so strong in the faith and truly serve the Lord with all their might mind and strength. I love the Korean people because they are just full of love, kindness and want to serve and be obedient. I am learning so much from them and it is an honor to serve them.

Wednesday lots of great things happened as all 4 of us sisters started out the day running at the field behin our apartment. Well during the middle of exercise Sister Hunter thought it would be a good idea to start a game of tag and tagged Sister Lyman. So yes we played tag and Sister Lyman came after me next and pretty sure I haven't ran that fast in my life for a really really really long time. I thought I was going to die but luckily I got away. Then Sister Hunter became it again and I was just running my laps and she came and got me because as I was running away I went down the stairs and almost died so I had to slow down. I was it for probably 8 minutes and 8 minutes in tag time is eternity! I went after Sister Hammerl but gave up because I was dying but then saw Sister Lyman hiding being the cement pole working out so I got her instead and that was our game of tag. It was a great work out let me tell you!

Sister Hunter and I then met with our investigator, 김미량 that same day. I witnessed her take a huge step of faith that day that I will forever remember. The time we had with her was amazing although she told us that in 2 weeks she would be moving to Hong Kong...Yeah it was sad and I wanted to cry but she asked if she could still meet with the missionaries there and of course we said yes. Just knowing she still wants to learn about the gospel gave me so much joy. During our appointment we talked a lot about the purpose of life and what we hope for because she told us that her friend from the Philippines brother was killed and so she was really sad. We together just wondered why good things happend to good people. We turned to the scriptures and shared 1 Nephi 11:17. We don't understand all things but the most important thing we can know is that we have a Loving Father in Heaven who loves us and is watching over us.  She was one who didn't have much of a belief in God but as we taught her she began wondering and wanted to know. The end of the lesson we invited her to pray. At first she said "I can't. I am too shy." But as Sister Hunter and I encouraged her and reassured her that she can she built up her confidence and took one of the biggest steps of faith she had ever taken. She tookd a step of faith praying to Heavenly Father who she still doesn't know if He is there but she say she hopes He is. Her prayer touched my heart and the Spirit was definitely present. It was the most sincere prayer I had ever heard as she prayed for her friend, her grandma and her journey to Hong Kong. She prayed for all the things she was currently concerned about and after she prayed she thanked us. I could tell she was at peace and calm in her heart. It was and amazing experience I am just so grateful that Heavenly Father allowed me to witness that special experience. We will meet with her for the last time this week but I am so grateful for her and I love her so much.

I just want to thank each of you for the influence you have made on my life. Each of you have palyed a special role in the person I have become and the person I am becoming. I recently read Mosiah 6 which is a short chapeter but it when King Benjamin dies and Mosiah reigns over he kingdom. He walks in the ways of the Lord and in verse 7 it says he does so because that is what his father did. God gives each of us examples in our lives to learn from and I am so grateful for all the amazing examples that have came into my life and helped me become a better person. I love each and every one of you. I hope you have a wonderful week! Keep smiling and this week thank Heavenly Father for the good examples He has set in your life. I love being a missionary. This work is all I could ever ask for. I love my Savior and my Heavenly Father. I know that they love me and they love you. Thank you for your love support and prayers. LOVE YOU ALL!!

Love ,
드리스콜자매
Sister Driscoll

No comments:

Post a Comment