Heart Mind and Seoul Korea

Heart Mind and Seoul Korea
I am 19 years old and called to serve in the Korea Seoul South Mission as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I would like to thank all who have shown their love and support throughout this life changing journey of mine.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Letter - 7/28/24

Family and Friends,

Well like I have said literally every week the time is flying!!! I can't even believe I have begun my 5th transfer. My new area is great!! I moved from a 4 sister house to another 4 sister house! It is such a party to be living with 3 other sisters. The house I moved to though is so small compared to my last house and so is the area. 금천 is just a little area with a little house but lots of fun. My companion Sister Hunter is just amazing. She is just a transfer ahead of me so we are enjoying figuring out this mission life and Korean together. We walk everywhere because the area is so small that there is no need to take public transportation. I love it, always being outside and here in 금천 it is about as country side as you can get in Korea which is you look outside and can see the hills covered in huge apartments but it is so nice because I can actually see nature!! I just continue to love this life that I am living and am truly realizing that the Lord knows exactly what is best for me, and the people here, well I need them. I need them for my growth and progression just like I needed the people in my last area. In fact last Monday I had a dinner with a member from my first area and her daughter. Her daughter has changed my life and was my Best Friend in 화곡. Well when it came time to say goodbye we just hugged each other and cried. It was so hard but as I was walking away I was truly humbled. When I first came on my mission I thought that the people of Korea needed me and the members needed me but I was so wrong I need them!  I need the people of Korea for my growth and my progression in becoming who God wants me to become. Everyone who comes into our lives comes for a reason to make us better and help us reach that potential that God sees in us. I just cannot express how grateful I am to be serving these wonderful people. The little member her name is 오서현 she ended up showing up at our transfer spot where we said goodbye for the last time. It was so sweet of her to come and see me though. She called while I was travelling to the transfer spot asking where I was and she was there waiting for me. I exited the subway and all I could here was '저매님저매님!" We took one last photo together and hugged and cried together one last time.

Transferring was quite the adventure! Sister Hunter and I were dragging my two big suitcases through all sorts of stuff and the two other sisters Sister Lyman and Sister Hemmarl were doing the same. All the Koreans looked at us like we were crazy because of all the stuff that we had but it was an adventure. Living with these 3 sisters is a party! Sister Hemmarel is from Australia and Sister Lyman is a transfer behind me so we were in the MTC at the same time and we got really close so it's the best ever! I am so happy. The area like I said above is super small. I have been here for what 6 days and Sister Hunter said that I have pretty much seen all of it and almost walked every road! I can't even believe it but it’s true! The ward is super great and little. I am excited to be able to get to know all the members. I gave my little talk introducing myself to the ward yesterday and it was so fun to look out into the audience once again to unfamiliar faces but soon enough will become familiar and friends. I am just loving this missionary life that I am living and I cannot express enough gratitude to my Heavenly Father for guiding me to this decision and my family for all the support they have given me.

Sister Hunter and I had our first lesson together on Thursday with a new investigator 김미량. It went really well and she is just beautiful and sweet. She doesn't really believe in God but she said if she knew He existed she would believe. When she said that I thought of what is in True to The Faith under God Our Heavenly Father and it gives steps on coming closer to God. The first step is Prayer, then learning about Jesus Christ, reading the scriptures, following the prophet, service, and one other that I cannot remember but we taught her how to pray and committed her to pray. Sister Hunter and I have been praying for her that she will pray and be able to feel God's love. She has so much potential but it may be difficult because her parents are Buddhist but after we met with her we stopped at her dad's little bakery and made a really good relationship with him so I think he likes us. Let’s hope!

This week I finally finished most of the Isaiah chapters in 2 Nephi. All I have to say is those are so hard to understand but I got a little bit out of each one that I hadn't understood before. That is what is so beautiful about the Book of Mormon no matter how many times you have read it there is always more to understand about God's love for His children. I read 2 Nephi 26 the other day and it talked about Christ's goodness because of His love for the world. Everything Christ did was motivated by love. When I think about love I think about what is the greatest expression of love? Well Jesus Christ was the greatest expression of love from our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ's sacrifice was His greatest expression of love for us and Heavenly Father. In Alma 7:11-12 it talks of Christ's sacrifice and all that he suffered in order to succor His people. Well I learned a couple months ago from Jefferey R. Holland that succor mean to run to. Christ sacrificed and loved us so much so now He can run to us unfailingly welcoming us into His loving arms. Love=Sacrifice. When you love someone you would sacrifice anything for them. When you show love you sacrifice. Everyday we show our love to our Heavenly Father by sacrificing our lives to be aligned with His will. I came on this mission and it was a sacrifice to show my love to my Father in Heaven who has blessed me beyond anyone could ever imagine and He continues to do so. I love my Father in Heaven and that is why I am here because I want to share that love and I want the people of Korea to feel of His love.

I am so grateful to be a missionary. It has changed my life and continues to change my nature. I am becoming a new person everyday and that is only possible because of the Savior's Atonement and Sacrifice. It is through Him that I can continue to change and become that person God wants me to become. I love each and everyone of you and thank you individually for your prayers, love and support. I want you all to know that I love the Korean people. I love this missionary work. It is an honor to be serving here in South Korea and I am so grateful. I know this gospel changes lives. I have seen it happen in the lives of others but most of all I have seen it change mine. I love you all! Have a great week! Stay Happy and Smiling because life is wonderful!

Love,
드리스콜자매
Sister Ciarra Jean Driscoll

No comments:

Post a Comment