Heart Mind and Seoul Korea

Heart Mind and Seoul Korea
I am 19 years old and called to serve in the Korea Seoul South Mission as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I would like to thank all who have shown their love and support throughout this life changing journey of mine.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Letter - 4/13/15

Dear Family and Friends,

Well it sounded like quite the week for my family back home. First, I want to start off by telling my big sister HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Thanks for being the best big sister in the world and for teaching me how to work hard and be diligent! Mallory I love you and through your example I have learned that when you want something, go and get it because our dreams can come true if we want them too! I have seen you work so hard in all things and accomplish great things! You truly are the perfect example of doing your very best in all things that you put your mind to and I know that will only continue to do so!  You are amazing I am so lucky to have the best big sister in the world!

Secondly, Hailey!!! I think most of you know but she participated in Junior Miss this last weekend and all weekend I couldn't help but wonder how she did. Well the second I got on the computer I opened up my mom’s email and tears fell down my eyes as I saw my sweet little sister as a gorgeous glowing young woman. All I can say is there is one proud sister over here in South Korea crying because her little sister isn't so little anymore! She truly glows and I know it's because of her faithfulness and desire to do right by following the Savior. In fact that is why we glow. We glow because of our hope in Christ and knowledge that we are God's children. Which brings me to our new investigator that we found this week!

This week we met with 전헤윤 a new investigator that was a referral from the mission office. She is interested in English and is diligently attending another church. We met with her and she told us that the minute she saw us she knew we were the missionaries not because we are the only foreigners around haha but because of our glow. She said people who believe in God and have that hope, look different. Their faces are light and they are simply at peace. She told of an experience she had with her employees who were all Buddhist and didn't believe in God. She said that each Tuesday they eat as a company and for 7 months she would pray over her food alone and they would wonder why and observe but didn't care too much. She continued praying for them outside of work that they would be touched by her example. Well 7 months later when she ate dinner with them after she said her prayer she opened her eyes and found 3 of her Buddhist employees also praying. She said that is God's way through time and patience and example we see the fruits of our labors. All I could do was nod and agree. We will be meeting with her every Tuesday. Sister Matamata and I are really looking forward to meeting with her and teaching her.

We also had Zone training this week which was the most powerful zone training I have had my entire mission. Last transfer I don't know if you remember but our zone was lacking and we weren't finding very many investigators to teach so we set the standard that we had to find 1 new investigator weekly and if we didn't our Zone leaders or Sister Training leaders would come and help us and make sure we did the next week. Well it woke everyone up. In one transfer we went from the lowest finding zone to the highest! What changed? All that changed was our faith and attitude about the work!  We believed in ourselves and we believed in God. Now that we have all these wonderful people to teach in the zone we are now focusing on doing all we can to have them enter in to the waters of baptism. We of course do not determine how many people are baptized but we do determine the invitations we make so now we are to find a new investigator and make an invitation weekly. This in other missions around the world may not be a big deal but it's definitely a challenge here that is going to only continue to strengthen our faith.

Sister Matamata and I actually have one investigator that is well on her way to setting that commitment with the Lord. Our 15 year old investigator 김지헤 is progressing so well! We went to the Young Women Leader's house this week and made microwave brownies with her because she has never ever baked in her whole life! Koreans don't really do the handmade goodies so we taught her! It was so fun and she was able to build a good relationship with the leader 강소진.   She was able to come to conference with our members on Sunday too! Our only worry is her parents but we received a text last night that her parents want us over for dinner sometime! YAY! Her mother is Buddhist and her dad is Christian which is where she learned to believe in God. Hopefully this will continue to be an upward process as the Lord had provided with her so many opportunities to come to church, pray, meet new friends and of course meet with us! Every time she prays and we talk I can't help but feel the strength of her faith in God. I love her so much and we are truly making so much progress with her as we watch her faith grow and learn from her example.

Wasn't Conference great though! We finally were able to watch it this weekend and I have made plans and goals already to be better. I loved all the missionary stories that were shared as I was able to relate to every single one of them in my own way. I think the line that hit me the most was that everyone is truly trying in their own way. The talk by Elder Redlund really touched me as I noticed a few of my weaknesses while being a missionary especially a trainer. I am going to be really honest here so don't judge me and my weaknesses because I also am trying in my own way. But I have noticed a little in myself that I have been to focused on why others aren't doing something that I think they should be doing rather then looking at what they are doing and being grateful for that. For example this week one morning Sister Matamata and I went outside to exercise. She personally I could tell didn't want to but I knew that if we didn't go outside she would just fall back to sleep so as I ran she walked and I caught myself thinking "why isn't she exercising? Why isn't she running with me?" I was letting frustration take over me but then I stopped. I realized my fault turned in gratitude and just thought "wow isn't it great that she came outside with me and that she got up at 6:30 in the morning!" That isn't easy but as I have changed my thought and attitude and heard that counsel I was instantly happier. I know that each person is striving to do their best and as the Lord gives patience to me I to must must give patience, love and mercy to others. How grateful I am to be learning all this and always being given the chance to change, become better, and become more like our Savior each and everyday because of His atonement.

I love this work. I know that it has truly laid the most solid foundation for the rest of my life. I know that this is the Lord's work and that I have truly been give the wonderful opportunity to help assist Him. How humbled I have for this experience each day. I love being a missionary. I love my Savior. I love this gospel. I know this is true and I have all the hope in the world on the message I share each day. Thank you for all your love encourage support, and prayers! I love and miss each of you! Have a great week! Remember everyone is trying in their own way!

Love,
드리스콜자매
Sister Ciarra Jean Driscoll

No comments:

Post a Comment